What if you had a Reiki session, as a client or as a healer, and you felt absolutely nothing? This is what a healer asked recently, when neither the healer nor the lady he was healing felt anything at all. I hope this answer reassures you.
Reiki goes where it is needed most for the greatest good. With this in mind, let me explain some possible scenarios:
- The lady had root causes that urgently needed to be addressed. However, she wasn’t ready to do it. Reiki wanted to go there, but the time was not right.
- Reiki went there and helped pave the way. But, because the lady wasn’t ready yet (even if she firmly believes she was), the Reiki there was so gentle and in such a small amount that it was unnoticeable.
- You were distracted and couldn’t feel Reiki, but that doesn’t mean nothing happened. I once did a healing on a client while my mind insisted on writing a mental shopping list, over and over, no matter what I did, for the entire session. At the end of that session, I was amazed to hear the client rave about how she loved the warmth of my hands, all the visions and wonderful messages she received. So being distracted doesn’t mean something didn’t happen. However, your concern is because the client doesn’t feel anything, so let me explain it with some examples. I gave Reiki to a client who felt nothing and left feeling disappointed, even though I explained the possibilities of the client experience (below). She then came back for more, reporting that she felt generally calm for two days after the session. I myself had the most amazing Reiki session when I felt absolutely nothing. Subsequently, my then constant pain in my neck did not require painkillers for an entire day, which was little short of a miracle. There is no reason why both client and healer should not feel anything. It is perfectly normal.
- Reiki reaches where it is most needed. If he was in an uncomfortable physical position (such as tensing his back), the Reiki would have gone there and instead of feeling it flow, he simply would not have felt the discomfort or level of discomfort that the tense position was causing. If you were having distracting thoughts, Reiki would have helped you gain clarity regarding these thoughts. With practice, you will learn to give in to these distractions and therefore flow better with Reiki. When you give healing, you receive healing.
- Our need to “feel something” is something man-made. It is man’s need to control. It is a mortal pleasure that we seek. Reiki is a deeply spiritual practice. You are learning to surrender this human need and eventually transcend it without even thinking about whether you or the client “feels anything.” In other words, the desire to feel something during a Reiki treatment goes against the spiritual nature of Reiki. Part of your Reiki training is learning to be humble and give up the expectation of feeling anything during a treatment. This is very difficult to learn, and has my sympathy, as I struggled with it for years in my own learning. Remember, you are on a learning journey with Reiki.
- Reiki heals at a very deep level that is often beyond our understanding or imagination. We are used to taking a pill and feeling the effects within 15 minutes, like a pill for a headache. Reiki definitely doesn’t work like that. People are drawn to Reiki often because they have been disenfranchised with the allopathic medicine approach. However, we have been so conditioned with this approach that we expect Reiki to work in the same way. But we seek Reiki because we want something different!
Reiki is an intelligent energy and goes where it is needed most for the Greater Good. Reiki can be felt as hot or cold, a wave sensation, a vibration, an electrical sensation, images or messages, or not felt at all. The client may have a healing reaction during or after the treatment, such as giggles, tears, laughter, sobs, yawns, hiccups, burps, etc. Otherwise, the client may feel relaxed, go to sleep, or feel nothing at all. All of the above is perfectly normal. The experience may differ from session to session. We do not direct Reiki or dictate what should happen during the session. We simply trust that it is helping us move forward in ways that we often don’t understand, and that is the beauty of Reiki. It works on a deep spiritual level.
Enjoy your Reiki journey.